Five VB is addressing the shortcomings of electric cars as compared to conventional cars.
FiveVB’s scope will focus on the following parameters, critical to automotive requirements and finally consumer’s acceptance. A short explanation on how FiveVB is addressing these parameters is given as follows:
- Energy Density
This proposal is suggesting a new combination of active materials in the cell to achieve the energy density targets outlined in the call. At the anode level, a high specific capacity silicon alloy will be employed in combination with a high-voltage spinel on the cathode side. A new electrolyte system that enables high voltage operation will be integrated in the new proposed concept.
Two different generations of material compositions (G1C & G2C) will be realized on lab scale cell level. The cost issue will be one of the trigger when deciding about the composition of the industrial scale cell. First priority is set on the G2C composition, where especially the battery system costs are optimized, due to the higher cell voltage.
Ageing tests are performed from an early stage in the project. When walking through the generations, the project team is able to increase durability by feeding-back early the results from pre- and post-mortem cell testing. Cell active and passive materials therefore are optimized throughout the generations.
- Safety Aspects
This aspect is addressed for the finally produced cell. Tests are carried out to outline clearly the cell behaviour under abuse conditions and the major changes to technologies from today’s state-of-the-art are documented in accordance to relevant standards (e.g. EUCAR hazard level ≤ 4).
The project plan includes a comparative life cycle assessment (LCA). This LCA compares the environmental impacts of the new battery development with existing lithium batteries.
- Scale-Up for Manufacturing
With an industry-based consortium, all the materials used in the project are coming from industrial partners and the multidisciplinary approach (also multi-industrial) should allow for optimal preparation to meet the final FiveVB objective:
An automotive scale industrial PHEV1 cell produced in Europe using materials and technologies provided by European companies.
- help to integrate the industrial partners in the value chain both vertically and horizontally,
- give the industrial partners the opportunity to refine innovative advanced materials for the specific use in a high-energy, high-voltage Li-Ion cell,
- create a joint common reference cell that serves as an orientation point for further developments,
- create a working methodology that serves as a reference for future cell developers, to be able better leverage the knowledge and experience of materials suppliers,
- establish the initial requirements on manufacturing technology to ensure potential scale-up according to technological success and market pull.
- take specific measures to enhance reconciliation of work, private and family life. The project coordinator will take practical measures to minimize travel, such as:
- Ensure meeting times and location to allow participants to fly in and out the same day
- Force coincidence in planning meetings whenever possible
- Use web-meeting and teleconference alternatives whenever possible